The Studio

The Studio
Experience The Joy Of Painting!

Welcome

Have you had fun at a painting party? Want to further your skills? Join a weekly art class. Learn to draw, paint, and create.

Friday, November 26, 2010

"Art Journal" Tree Painting by Jill Saur

© 2009 Jill Saur Fine Art LLC, Tree Art,  all rights reserved

Keeping an art journal can be an important way to connect with the painting that you are about to create.  It engages more of your senses and emotions and is bound to show in your finished piece.  The following words are from my own journal that I wrote before I painted "The Hastening Tree".

"What I love about this tree, is that from a distance it appears to be in its prime.  It continues to enamor its viewers with robust alluring shades of green foliage.  At sunrise, the trunk offers striking contrasts of light and dark.  Even the bark is bejeweled with flecks of rich golds, browns, and reds.


The great surprise comes upon close inspection.  The middle base of the tree is completely hollow!  It is absolutely amazing that the tree is entirely supported by the sides and the few roots that make its way to the soil.  This tree is fighting for its last vociferation, its last great moment.  It is reaching to the light and putting forth its branches for all to see.  It’s death will be swift and sudden.  There is no middle ground for this tree.  It is living in splendor and then it will be gone.  I am moved by the lessons it is teaching me and I am compelled to paint it in all of its seasons.  I have actually been photographing this tree for well over two years now.  I have witnessed this tree at sunrise when the first rays of the sun illuminate its weathered trunk and I have sat at its base in the mist of the afternoon when the only hue is a dull grey.   This is when the tree is most haunting and sullen.  My most recent visit was a week ago when the last remnant of fall glistened on its colorful leaves.

I guess you could say that this is one of my special places to go when I need some time to think, pray, evaluate my life, and listen for answers."   © 2009 Jill Saur Fine Art, LLC    Jill's Website

No comments:

Post a Comment