The Studio

The Studio
Experience The Joy Of Painting!

Welcome

Have you had fun at a painting party? Want to further your skills? Join a weekly art class. Learn to draw, paint, and create.

Friday, May 24, 2019

Van Gogh and Anton Mauve


At first glance, would you think the works below are by Van Gogh?  They’re actually the paintings of his cousin by marriage, master painter, Anton Mauve.  Vincent took painting lessons in The Hague from Anton.  Mauve taught Vincent the basics of painting in oil and watercolor.  Van Gogh visited his studio almost every day when he was there.





It’s clear to see the effect that Anton had on Vincent’s early works and even some later ones.  Who has had an impact on your art?  For me, it was my first watercolor teacher, master artist, Bud Biggs.  Bud deeply influenced the subject matter I painted until I found my own passion of what I wanted to paint, and developed my own techniques.  I started out painting in watercolor and oil, and then gradually found my way to acrylic painting.

Van Gogh is my favorite artist. I love his art, his story, and his passion.  I’d say that he’s the one that most influences the artist I am today.  I’m influenced by his dedication to grow, the movement in his work, his masterful use of color and the ability to move the viewer.
I think it’s important to have people in your life that have gone before you, people that demonstrate expertise.  Learn from them, and while your learning from them, study all you can on your own.  You want to grow into the person and artist your meant to be. – Jill Saur


Interested in taking art classes with me.  Please visit my website to learn more about my classes.  www.JillSaur.com


No comments:

Post a Comment