The Studio

The Studio
Experience The Joy Of Painting!

Welcome

Have you had fun at a painting party? Want to further your skills? Join a weekly art class. Learn to draw, paint, and create.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Van Gogh Auvers Street Scene Gesture, By Atlanta Artist, Jill Saur

Jill Saur Gesture of Van Gogh Auvers
Van Gogh Village Street In Auvers,  May 1890

Gesture Study of Van Gogh
Jill Saur Gesture of Van Gogh Village Street In Auvers, Februay 2014
So, I'm re-reading Van Gogh's letters to Theo and gaining more insight into my favorite artist's life.  His work deeply moves me and I'm pretty sure he is not only one of the most well-known artists, but probably one of the most misunderstood artists.

In my opinion, Van Gogh studied and mastered color theory like few other artists ever have, or possibly ever will.  His use of complimentary colors and their tones to convey his deepest thoughts and feelings, and his moving brushstrokes, were nothing short of genius.

Van Gogh's painting, "Village Street in Auvers" is the painting above.  Last night I took a 14"x17" newsprint pad and loosely gestured the scene with a soft willow stick.  My intention was to gesture my impression of his painting and not make an exact copy.  I gestured another drawing this morning and I'll do it one more time before putting the final gesture drawing on my canvas.  On Wednesday morning, my class is going to watch me paint, and then they're going to do their own interpretation.

It's highly probable that I'll render my interpretation of this painting with a palette knife rather than a brush.  Either way, I'm excited to see what the outcome will be!

My website:  CLICK HERE